Thursday, October 17, 2013

Journey to publishing update #6

An unexpectedly productive day: 50 pages done in one day! Now I'm at 150 / 224 for a 67% complete status. Only 74 to go.

Part of the fun of writing books about World War II is doing the research. Thanks to the internet, and Google in particular, I can find out most of things I need to know. Since my novels are war stories, I spend a lot of time researching weapons, aircraft, seagoing vessels, and places. Google Earth is also a fantastic tool. I can pull up a map of France, for example, and select a place for my characters to exist. In some cases, I can use Google's street level view and actually see what they might have seen. 

At the end of my books, I have Author's Notes. This is a place for me to share things about the book, the inner workings, where ideas came from, and sometimes why I did what I did. Writing books about a historic period can also create some anxiety, as I may sometimes write something in the first draft without actually researching properly. Although, I can think of one instance in the new book where I temporarily got a fact wrong. Only because I double check everything did I discover I had simply misread the research article! 

On my website www.ronnmunsterman.com, on the Novels page a you can find a photo gallery of places and things in Operation Devil's Fire. I will do the same thing for the new novel, Behind German Lines.

See you tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment