Friday, July 6, 2018

Beware the mouse slip

Yesterday I posted something about being really productive. Yay me . . . 

Today, I'm posting a warning about mouse slips. Yes, there is such a thing. It's when you do something with your computer's mouse or mouse pad that results in something bad, like buying something you don't want for $100 or in my case losing 1,000 words somewhere, which is far, far worse, believe me.

I had my Explorer window open on the right side in a small size. Behind it was my Google drive location where I store my novels' daily backups (one of the places they have a home). All you have to do is click and drag from the Explorer window to the Google window, and the files upload.

Unless you make a mouse slip. Somewhere between my Explorer file folders window and Google I let go of the click-and-hold mouse button on my laptop. I looked in the Explorer folder and could see the files for July 3rd and the 5th, but not the 6th, today. My heart sank. They were a beautiful 1,000 words. I could remember some of them, but really? 1,000?

I did a search for the file name on "This PC." It took for-damn-ever and finally replied, huh? We don't have one of those, you knucklehead.

I visually searched the two small folders listed under that thing I hate, One Drive. Nothing.

Panic has set in. This was the next to the last chapter of my newest book, for crying out loud.


Fortunately, I'm stubborn.

Then I double-click the root of that thing I hate, One Drive. Ah ha! There you are, my pretty! I copied by using Ctrl-C and went to my Explorer folder. Ctrl-V! yeah, Boom! Got my 1,000 words back, so there.

Then I ate dinner.

I'm okay now, but wow. Only 2,349 words to go. I think tomorrow I'll stick my thumb drive in my laptop and leave it there until I'm done. And I'll Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V my way to happiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment