Monday, April 16, 2018

Scary things Part III

So maybe you've already read my Scary things Parts I & II. Here's another from 2010. I'm not sure now if I should keep posting these since I probably look a bit like a scaredy-cat. All I can say, is I'm not normally a jumpy guy, but these things really got me.

My wife and I went to Two Harbors, MN for a week in August of 2010. Absolutely, stunningly, beautiful around Lake Superior. I put some pics below. We went out driving, heading north on Highway 2 out of Two Harbors. I should point out that it was about 10 am. We drove 25 miles and the road hit a T-intersection. We turned right and followed Highway 11 for 0.6 of a mile and turned left onto U.S. Forest Service Highway 15, going north. A white cargo van, which has been behind us for awhile, had turned right, and then left, still following us. It was the only other vehicle we'd seen for miles And so it began.

This road was narrow, with the blacktop edging right up against the trees in some places. The trees hung over the roadway in places.


Pics from Google Maps

The van kept pace and I got creeped out. Too many Stephen King novels I guess. Suddenly, ahead there was a little picnic area. I turned on my turn signal. The van slowed. I turned off. The van kept on going north! Thank God!

I did all this without letting my wife know what was spinning around in my noggin. So I survived the moment and enjoyed the rest of the day.

Here are some of my own pics from that trip.



From the top of Palisades Head




The 1001 foot long Edgar Speer
Tid bit fact

Two Harbors is north of Duluth, MN. The Great Lakes ship Arthur M. Anderson departed from Two Harbors and joined the ill-fated Edmund Fitzgerald in a trip across Lake Superior. A trip which the Fitzgerald did not survive. Gordon Lightfoot sang a wonderful song about the wreck.

https://www.shipwreckmuseum.com/edmund-fitzgerald/the-fateful-journey/





No comments:

Post a Comment