Monday, March 19, 2018

Scary things Part II

I recently posted about watching something scary on TV and then going out at night to walk my dog.

Here's something funny (now) my wife did to me about 20 years ago.

Background

I love science fiction movies, and as a kid watched them on TV on Friday nights (10:30 pm). One movie that scared me as an eight year old boy (same year I saw The Time Machine) was IT! The Terror From Beyond Space. It featured a monster who got aboard a rescue craft on Mars. On the way home it started capturing some of the crew and hiding them for nourishment later. One scene showed a crewman who'd been put in an air vent tunnel. His eyes had black raccoon circles and he was terrifying!

Fast forward to the nineties. 

I found the movie on TV and sat down with my son, who was about nine at the time, to watch it. It was the first time since I was a kid.

More background

Ever since we first knew each other, my wife had always tried to spook me by hiding behind doors and such and yelling Boo!. I'm not very jumpy, so it NEVER worked, to her disappointment.

Fast forward to the nineties. 

My chair faced the TV and had a door behind it that led to the foyer. You could enter the foyer from that door, or the one in the dining room. My son sat to my right on a small sofa. He could see into both the dining room and the foyer.

When the movie got to a scary part, my loving wife quietly opened the door behind me and shrieked, "Boo!"

Evidently, I jumped about three feet in the air. My son, who had seen my wife sneaking through the dining room and had said NOTHING, hooted with pleasure and my wife chortled to her heart's content. "I got you!"

Yep. You did. Is that my heart beating?

They still bring it up now and again, so I thought I'd share with you.

Lesson: When watching scary shows, don't have the door behind you.

No comments:

Post a Comment